September is National Yoga Month. The perfect time for a little freshening up, so here are a few easy ways to clean your yoga mats.
- Weather warm? Take your mat outside and hose it down, use a mild soap and sponge, gently wipe down, rinse and let air dry.
- A little chillier? Soak your mat in the tub, again, a gentle rub with a mild soap, and sponge or microfiber cloth, air dry, maybe over the shower rod?
- Some mats are designed to be machine washed, before you proceed check your brand.
- In a hurry, can’t wait for “drying time”? Here is a recipe for a sanitizing spray:
- Fill a spray bottle with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, or 1/2 cup witch hazel and a few drops each of 4 to 5 essential oils, tea tree, lavender, lemon, eucalyptus, peppermint or spearmint are good choices.
- Spray mat, gently wipe down, use a clean cloth to dry before turning it over and washing the other side. Mmmmm, nice scent!
- Not feeling ambitious? There are many mat cleaning sprays on the market. Spray, wipe, go.
That was easy, right?